Earth day was founded by United States Senator Gaylord Nelson on April 22, 1970. It is now celebrated in 192 countries with over 1 billion participants, making it the largest civic observance in the world.
So how can you get involved and have fun with your dog at the same time?
5 Ways to Celebrate Earth Day with your Dog
1. Start buying and using biodegradable poop bags- The bags decompose in about the same amount of time as an apple.
2. Recycle by donating to a rescue or animal shelter- Instead of throwing out old blankets or sheets, donate them to a local rescue or shelter (of course, please wash them first). One man’s trash is another man’s treasure, and shelters are always grateful for donations. Your old newspapers may also be appreciated since they are used as cage liner. Check out the Riverside Animal Shelter’s wish list.
3. Make a toy out of an old sock (or a sock missing its mate)- “Making a toy out of an old household product is a great way to re-use rather than consume”-Cesar Millan. If you need help making your own dog toy, visit Make-and-Build-Dog-Stuff.com.
4. Cook your dog a natural, holistic meal- Eating organic is good for your health, your dog’s health, and the planet. Need Recipe ideas? Check out easydogrecipes.com If you don’t have time to cook a meal for your dog you can change your dog’s food to a more holistic food, without low-grade animal by-products and preservatives. Do this by avoiding food with meat by-product, wheat (or grain), corn (or corn meal), or gluten. Check out DogFoodScoop.com to further understand dog food labels and all other dog food questions.
5. Go Chemical Free- Buy and use household cleaning products that are chemical free. This is not only healthier for you and your pets but also reduces the amount of harmful runoff into our ground and water sources. Instead of using bleach to clean you can use vinegar and water, “It’s a green alternative that removes odor and kills mold and bacteria” –BestFriends.org. In addition, you can buy and use pet shampoos, conditioners, and other grooming products that are biodegradable and do not contain harmful pesticides or chemicals.